Seeking a Senior Research Scientist, Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher (BDR-22-016)
Laboratory for Advanced NMR Application and Development
RIKEN Center for Biosystems Dynamics Research
(Team Leader: Yoshitaka Ishii)
The Center for Biosystems Dynamics Research (BDR) views the life of an individual, from birth to death, as a dynamic process of development, maintenance and failure of complex systems of molecules, cells and organs.
The Laboratory for Advanced NMR Application and Development (Advanced NMR Lab) is recruiting research/technical employees to carry out a new theme. The research overview of the laboratory is shown below.
The research overview of the laboratory:
Based at the internationally renowned NMR research center at the RIKEN Yokohama Campus, we develop world-leading high-field NMR methodologies and conduct advanced application research. In particular, we will work on development of NMR methods to elucidate the structures and functions of biomolecules such as amyloid proteins, RNA, and nano-biomaterials, which are difficult to analyze using conventional structural biology methods. We also develop advanced NMR methods suited for ultra-high-field NMR magnets that are under development at RIKEN as part of a JST-MIRAI project. It is also within our scope to explore novel NMR applications and NMR analysis integrated with electron microscopy and other methods.
For more information on our research, please refer to the following links:
- Laboratory for Advanced NMR Application and Development
- Laboratory for Advanced NMR Application and Development | BDR
Job title and Job description
Senior Research Scientist / Research Scientist / Postdoctoral Researcher
Position-specific tasks are as follows:
- Senior Research Scientist
- Assist the leader of their team or unit, provide instruction to researchers or other members and carry out the research in the team/unit.
- Research Scientist
- Carry out research and other work in accordance with research themes of the team.
- Postdoctoral Researcher
- Carries out research and other work in accordance with laboratory research themes under the mentorship and training of supervisors.
Number of positions
1-2 positions in total
The Advanced NMR Team is exploring NMR-based structural analysis of biomolecules and advanced materials and developing ultra-high-field NMR systems such as 1-1.3 GHz NMRs. We are looking for excellent candidates with expertise in high-field solid-state NMR (SSNMR) methodology, applications, and related areas to carry out projects on development of SSNMR methods for ultra-high-field and their novel applications to amyloid proteins and RNA and other systems, which include relevant sample preparation. The successful candidates will be also involved in the subprojects under JAPAN Science Technology (JST) project “JST-MIRAI” and/or other tasks required for operation of our laboratory.
Common to all positions
A person who is able to dedicate themselves to the job by communicating, coordinating and collaborating smoothly with people in and out of the laboratory.
Fluent verbal and written communication skills in English are prerequisite.
Senior Research Scientist
A PhD holder in the area related to the Job description, with more than 5 years of experience in working in the area after obtaining PhD, and is able to provide direction to other members.
A PhD holder in the area related to the Job description.
A PhD holder who earned a doctorate within the past 5 years in the area related to the Job description.
RIKEN Center for Biosystems Dynamics Research (Yokohama Campus)
1-7-22 Suehiro-cho, Tsurumi-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 230-0045, Japan
RIKEN has implemented a work-from-home system. Employees can work from home in accordance with the prescribed procedures.
Salary and benefits
- 1.One-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, up to the end of the fiscal year 2024 (March 31, 2025) since the initial date of hire.
- 2.However, the contract renewable period may be changed on the basis of the employee’s abilities, work load, performance, work attitude, continuation of the center, laboratory or project in which the employee is involved, and on the basis of RIKEN’s finance situation and budget condition at the time. In principle, no contract renewal will be made for people 66 years old or older.
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be an annual salary based on experience, ability, and performance, and will consist of a base salary and a variable salary. The variable salary will be determined each fiscal year based on experience, ability, and performance. The monthly base salary and variable salary are subject to change due to amendments to RIKEN regulations. Discretionary work, commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied.
The approximate amount of annual salary at the time of employment:
The monthly salary including discretionary work allowance at the time of employment will be
- for Senior Research Scientist
- more than 470,000 JPY,
- for Research Scientist:
- more than 389,000 JPY,
- for Postdoctoral Researcher:
- more than 327,000 JPY.
Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
The positions, Senior Research Scientist, Research Scientist and Postdoctoral Researcher fall under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
Paid leave includes annual paid leave (up to 20 days depending on the month of employment), special paid leave (childcare, family nursing care, etc.), and work life balance holidays (up to 7 days depending on the month of employment).
There are also additional leave systems such as maternity leave, childcare leave, and family nursing care leave.
Smoking is not permitted on site except in designated smoking areas. Smoking will be entirely prohibited on site from April 2024.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
The Yokohama Campus has an on-site daycare, RIKEN Kids Yokohama. For details, please send an email to the HR at kids-yk-hr [at] ml.riken.jp.
RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
*Eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before the fiscal year 2003, and eligible for applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
- 1.Curriculum vitae or Curriculum vitae
- *Email address is required.
- *Application Number [BDR-22-016] and position to apply（e.g.：Research Scientist） should be clearly written in the upper right corner of the CV.
- *Please use the RIKEN format CV above.
- 2.List of publications (Please categorize : Original article, Review article, Book, Conference presentation, Others)
- 3.Summary of past research and the result (about 2 pages of A4 paper)
- 4.Plans for the future research once appointed（about 1 page of A4 paper)
- 5.Acquisition of competitive external funds (e.g. Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research) （Please write: Representative, Contribution)
- 6.One reference letter from immediate manager or current supervisor
- *If it is difficult to obtain reference letter from immediate manager or current supervisor, please obtain a letter from a third party.
- *A reference letter should be addressed to [Center Director, Center for Biosystems Dynamics Research]
- 7.Certificate of degree awarded, Certificate of graduation from the last school, diploma(PDF) or graduation certificate from the last school (PDF)
- 8.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
The above documents except the recommendation letters should be converted to PDF and uploaded to the following website after these files are combined into a single ZIP file:
File request BOX for ADVNMR
- Zip file name: BDR-22-016_desired position_Name
- The file name of each PDF file: BDR-22-016_desired position_Name_submitted document No.
- When uploading the application documents by a ZIP file via BOX, please make sure to input your contact email address.
- After uploading the ZIP file, please let us (nmr-recruit [at] ml.riken.jp) know the file name of the uploaded file.
*Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Recommendation letter(s) by PDF must be directly submitted from the referee(s) to the following website.
File request BOX for ADVNMR
- The file name of the recommendation letter: BDR-22-016_applicant’s name_recommendation letter
- The recommendation letter should be addressed to [Center Director, Center for Biosystems Dynamics Research]
- Please specify the applicant's name, referee's name and contact information in the recommendation letter.
- When uploading the PDF letter, please make sure to input your contact email address.
- After uploading the letter, please contact at nmr-recruit [at]ml.riken.jp to inform the file name of the uploaded file.
- *If a confirmation email is not received within 7 days after submission, please contact: nmr-recruit [at] ml.riken.jp
- *Please understand that we will not return application documents.
We will examine application documents as they are accepted. Application will be closed as soon as the position is filled.
Handling Personal Data
Selection will be made based on application screening and interview. (face-to-face or remote interview)
After documents screening, only successful applicants will be invited for interview.
*We do not answer to questions regarding contents of the examination.
Start of Employment
April 1, 2023 or later (Negotiable)
For inquiries on this open position, please contact below by email:
Advanced NMR Application and Development, RIKEN Center for Biosystems Dynamics Research (Yokohama Campus)
nmr-recruit [at] ml.riken.jp
*If you have any research-related questions, please contact yoshitaka.ishii [at] riken.jp (Laboratory for Advanced NMR Application and Development, Dr. Yoshitaka ISHII)
Updated as of May. 23, 2023: "Work location", "Salary and benefits"