Collaboration with Industry
Collaboration with Industry (The Baton Zone)
The Baton Zone at RIKEN promotes R&D through collaborations between RIKEN and industry both in basic research and practical application of research outcomes. There are various systems for working together with industry.
Collaboration Centers, with the collaborating company’s name as part of the Center name, work on mid- and long-term challenges incorporating proposals from companies. These Centers aim to create new research fields by collaborating with industry, and to foster human resources in an environment that combines the culture of RIKEN and industry. Ten Centers are set up and running as of July 2020.
- RIKEN CBS-Olympus Collaboration Center
- RIKEN CBS-TOYOTA Collaboration Center
- RIKEN RSC-Rigaku Collaboration Center
- RIKEN-JEOL Collaboration Center
- RIKEN CBS-KAO Collaboration Center
- RIKEN BDR-Otsuka Pharmaceutical Collaboration Center
- RIKEN AIP-NEC Collaboration Center
- RIKEN AIP-TOSHIBA Collaboration Center
- RIKEN AIP-FUJITSU Collaboration Center
- RIKEN BDR-DAIKIN Collaboration Center
Integrated Collaborative Research Program with Industry
A Team Leader will be appointed from industry to lead a term-limited collaborative research team that focuses on initiatives of the development staff. Research is conducted by connecting the needs of industry and society with RIKEN’s cutting-edge research seeds. Eleven Teams are actively carrying out research as of April 2020.
- Glass Molding and Optics Simulation Lab (Integration Technology Co.,Ltd）
- GlycoTargeting Research Lab (Gly Tech, Inc.)
- Voxel Engineering Lab (UEL Corporation)
- Mid-Infrared Laser Source Lab (Oxide Corporation)
- Microalgae Production Control Technology Lab (Euglena Co.,Ltd.)
- Hydrogen Energy Storage Technology Lab (ATSUMITEC CO.,Ltd.)
- Plant Breeding Innovation Lab (Japan Tobacco Inc.)
- Vaccine Innovation Lab (Animal Allergy Clinical Laboratories Inc)
- 3D Dosimeter Research Laboratory (Nissan Chemical Corporation)
- Satellite Orbital State Control Laser Laboratory (SKY Perfect JSAT Corporation)
- Bio-monomer Production Laboratory (Zeon Corporation/ The Yokohama Rubber Co., Ltd.)
Sponsored Laboratories are run with corporate funds that are used to invite outstanding researchers to carry out research. Four Laboratories are in active operation as of April 2020.
External funds are used to operate Sponsored Units to promote technology transfer through collaboration with the industry sector. One Unit is set up and running as of April 2020.
What is The Baton Zone?
RIKEN aims to develop a system that leads to smooth technology transfer and practical application by contributing both explicit knowledge, such as patents and research papers, and know-how, or tacit knowledge. The name of the system alludes to the baton zone in track and field sports. The program has successfully achieved many innovative research outcomes from early stages.